The Drakensberg and Natal Midlands offers a lot of attractions and activities to make your visit to the region interesting. Of course the Drakensberg and Natal Midlands are great places to soak up the tranquility and relax with a good book.
Attractions in the Drakensberg and Natal Midlands
Drakensberg Horse Trails
- Antbear Horse trails. situated near to giants castle these horse trails are ideally suited to beginners
Zulu Waters Horse Trails. Across the road in a private game reserve there are also great horse trail and horse riding opportunities. Ride with game including white rhino and buffalo. Horse trails are generally about 2 hours in length but trails of any length can be arranged
- Horse-riding at Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve. Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve offer riding in the bush amongst the game, including rhino, giraffe, wildebeest, antelope and zebra. It is easy to get quite close to these wild animals on horseback without alarming them and this is a treat not to be missed. Great for beginners and experienced riders. The tours start at 2:30 pm but you need to be there by 2:00 pm and are required to pre-book on the number: 0364881578
- Horse-riding with Drakensberg Excursions Drakensberg Excursions offer horse riding in the Drakensberg on sure footed, spectacularly colored Appaloosa horses. Trails are guided by experienced guides. The rides start at 10:30 am and take you about as high into the mountains as is possible. The views are breathtaking. But please note this is not for the uninitiated. You don’t need to be an expert but you must feel comfortable in the saddle. Contact Rick or Trisha 033 2677227 / 0829322255
- Ushaka horse trails Ushaka horse trails offer short trails of 1 to 2 hours to half day and full day trails in the mountains. Combination programs with mountain biking or hiking are also possible. This is a good option for beginners and experienced riders but best if groups are not mixed. You can choose between a 1-2 hour trail, a half day or full day trail. Contact Karl 0364681136 or 072 664 299.
Drakensberg Hiking Trails
Day hiking trail through the lower reaches of the Drakensberg (Northern Drakensberg and Central Drakensberg)
Walking the lower reaches below the Drakensberg escarpment is the reason you came to this area. This is the most impressive the Drakensberg has to offer and I recommend Giants Castle Nature Reserve. Try “Worlds View” an easy 3,5 hour hike (14 km) and ends with a spectacular 360 degree view. More of this walking beneath the escarpment can be found at Injasuti, Monks Cowl, Champane, Cathederal and Royal Natal. Its similar but the scenery is different and all spectacular.
To the top of the Escarpment and the 950m Tugela Waterfall
There is only one place you can reasonably get to the top of the Drakensberg escarpment and back down again in one day and that is at the Sentinel. The drive alone is spectacular. The walk is 5 hours 2,5 hours each way. You ascend the last 20 meters using a chain ladder and are rewarded with a view overlooking the Royal Natal Reserve. Also you are at the source of the Tugela river where it falls some 950m. 2nd highest in the world.
- San (Bushmann) rock art in the Southern Drakensberg
Kamberg offers the most spectacular examples of rock art to be found in South Africa. There are many places where Bushman rock art can be found but this is one of the few sites where your imagination is not a prerequisite. Kamberg is situated in the southern Drakensberg (More sandstone and valleys than the spectacular basalt of further North) which gives you another opportunity to experience a different aspect of our Drakensberg.