The KwaZulu-Natal battlefields are worth a days trip to relive some of our historic passed. The Drakensberg and Natal Midlands offer a few options discover British, Zulu and Boer clashes on the battlefield. Kzn hosts the Battlefield Route wich is very easy to get to if you pass through either the Drakensberg or Natal Midlands.
Driving past Colenso today, it is hard to visualize that just over one hundred years ago General Buller’s forces were spread across this same piece of veld. British soldiers struggling to cross the Tugela River against the concentrated fire from Boer guns sited in the hills surrounding the besieged town of Ladysmith.
Amongst them a 25-year-old former soldier turned newspaper correspondent for the London Morning Post, by name of Winston Churchill, and a young London-trained lawyer, serving as a stretcher bearer, named Mohandas Ghandi.
As you journey further, it is even more difficult to imagine that the scenic and tranquil landscape of central and northern KwaZulu-Natal was once the focal point of major military clashes, where over a span of 70 years, one historical drama after another unfolded against the backdrop of the African veld and the majestic Drakensberg mountains.
The region boasts the largest concentration of battlefields in South Africa, drawing visitors from all over the world.
It is here that military engagements that were to shape the course of South African and world history, and rock the pedestal of the British Empire, raged over thorny hills and sweeping grasslands.
- The Springbok Lodge Springbok Lodge epitomises the perfect safari experience with beautifully appointed tented suites, service excellence, superb cuisine and prolific wildlife – ensuring an unforgettable experience.
- Babanango Valley Lodge Babanango Valley Lodge, a small luxury upmarket Lodge, with nine bedrooms, providing high levels of service and hospitality while retaining the charm that one would expect of a small gracious country Lodge.
- Elephant Rock Private Safari Lodge Superbly sited overlooking a waterhole, Elephant Rock is a charming boutique safari lodge offering luxury accommodation for up to 10 people.
- Nxala Ranch Named for the elusive Mountain Reedbuck that roam the 1600 hectares of mountains and green grassland. Nxala Ranch is your ideal breakaway location for the family or corporate guests on a working farm.
- Sewula Gorge Lodge Small, private, intimate and secluded in a gorge below a waterfall within the Rensburg Koppie Natural Heritage Site. Easy of access (15 minutes) from the N3 Highway between Estcourt and Mooi River in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Fugitive’s Drift Guest House In its original state, the Guest House was the home of Mr Johan Potgieter and his family.”Mr Pot” was immortalised in Gillian Rattray’s award winning tome “The Springing of the Year”. He was one of the great storytellers of this area.
- Slievyre Game Farm Bed and Breakfast offered Fully equipped and serviced Children welcome Swimming pool This is the perfect stop over for weary travellers.
- The Royal Country Inn The Royal Country Inn in Dundee combines the benefits of modern accommodation with an old-world charm. Situated in the heart of the battlefields, halfway between Johannesburg and Durban, it is the ideal stopover for weary travellers
- Zingela Safari & River Company Zingela is a picturesque tented camp situated on the banks of the Tugela River in the heart of the Thukela Biosphere reserve in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Bokmakierie Country Lodge The Bokmakierie Country Lodge is set in tranquil surroundings at the edge of Ladysmith, overlooking the Country Club golf course, acres of barren land, and a variety of wildlife. The Country Lodge’s garden, home and setting is simply stunning.
- Haggards Hilldrop B&B With unbelievably warm hospitality, inviting interiors and magnificent garden surroundings from every room, Haggards Hilldrop B&B is every traveller’s home away from home.
- LELO’s BED AND BREAKFAST centrally located in Ladysmith and are a walking distance from CBD, and only 400m from the N11 road.
- Spionkop Lodge Experience an unmatched gateway at SpionKop Lodge which is set against the backdrop of the majestic Drakensburg mountains, on the Kwazulu-Natal battlefields route. Situated on an expansive 700 hectare game farm, SpionKop Lodge is the perfect base for exploring the berg
- The Royal Hotel Elegant, tastefully-decorated, air-conditioned rooms that contain an extensive array of facilities. Known far and wide for our service and attention to detail, we offer excellent conferences and banqueting facilities.
- Three Trees at Spioenkop Surrounded by the Drakensberg Mountains, overlooking a secluded valley of the Spioenkop Game Reserve and in the lee of the famous hill, Spioenkop, lies Three Trees Lodge.
- Battlefields Country Lodge Battlefields Country Lodge boasts 50 en-suite rooms, in three different styles, with DSTV and Tea & Coffee Facilities.
- Buller’s Rest Lodge Self Catering,Lodge accommodation in Ladysmith.This charming country-style, thatch home offers bed and breakfast and dinner on request in a friendly, family atmosphere with beautiful berg views from a magnificent sun deck overlooking Ladysmith. Tasty cooking and comfortable single and double en-suite accommodation
- Egerton Manor Self Catering,Guest House accommodation in Ladysmith. Comfortable, well appointed accommodation offering you a restful night. A real home from home allows for a friendship to develop in a few hours. Centrally Situated: We are situated in the middle of Ladysmith, easily accessible.
- Grey Goose Farm Lodge Bed and Breakfast,Lodge accommodation in Newcastle. Looking for accommodation, wedding or conference facilities in Newcastle, the Grey Goose Farm Lodge, in the Drakensberg foothills, overlooking the Nguduma Vlei with views of the Drakensberg mountains is the right place for you.
- Hunter’s Lodge Lodge accommodation in Ladysmith. Hunters Lodge is centrally situated in the busy town of Ladysmith. We pride ourselves on providing a restful oasis for the weary traveller and offer a home from home atmosphere – arrive as strangers and leave as friends.
- The Battlefields – The KwaZulu-Natal battlefields have always been very much worth a days trip reliving the past. The Drakensberg and Natal Midlands offer many oppertunities to visit various battlefields
- Battlefield Tours in the Drakensberg – Battlefield Tours are offered in the Drakensberg region by knowledgeable, friendly and accredited local guides who will guarantee hour upon hour of captivating battlefield stories
- Drakensberg Battlefields
- Activities and tourist attractions in the Drakensberg The Drakensberg offers a whole miriad of activities and tourist attractions including battlefields tours, arts and crafts, resturants and cheese tasting
- Battlefields – Accommodation in the Drakensberg Mountains
- Central Drakensberg Battlefields
- Touring the Battlefields – Drakensberg Mountains
- Attractions and Activities in the Drakensberg and Natal Midlands
- Northern Drakensberg – For the historian the Northern Drakensberg offers many battlefields of the Anglo-Boer wars around the town of Ladysmith
- Activities in the Drakensberg Region – Antbear Guesthouse
- drakensberg attractions – South Africa offers so much more whether in the mountains, the bush or across the battlefields.
- Battlefields – The Battle of Spioenkop, which raged for two long and bloody days from the 23-24 January 1900, was undoubtedly the most futile of the anglo boer war battlefields.
- Weenen – Battlefields –
- Battlefields Country Lodge – Drakensberg-Tourism.co.za
- BBI (Battlefields BP Intnl) Evan, who is a well known registered tourist guide, offers tours at special prices for BBI guests to all the KZN Battlefields
- Southern Drakensberg Ron Gold also is a registed battlefield guide and does guided tours of the battlefields
- Battlefields in South Africa – KwaZulu-Natal ‘s Battlefields Route – Zulu wars, Shaka, Isandlwana, Rorkes Drift, Colenso, … Battlefields of South Africa – information from Drakensberg Tourism.
- Drakensberg | African Nights
- Cable car planned for the Drakensberg Mountains
- BBI (Battlefields BP Intnl) self-catering accommodation in Dundee
- Drakensberg Mountain Retreat– A number of Boer War battlefields are easily visited from Vergezient
- Zonderntwyfel Barnhouse Guided visits to Spioenkop battlefield can be arranged
- Drakensberg Tourism– Battlefields and monuments from these different military encounters are available
- Drakensberg – Howick accommodation and tourism Ron Gold also is a registed battlefield guide and does guided tours of the Kwazulu Natal Nattlefields