Estcourt -Wagondrift Dam
Tourist Attractions in Estcourt
- Horse-Riding at both Antbear Horse Trails or Zulu Waters Horse trails are popular.
- Hiking trails in the Estcourt area lead to destinations such as Giant’s Castle in the Drakensberg Mountain range and will take you past San caves and a site museum. The Wagondrift Dam Public Resort offers fishing and water sport opportunities.
- Anglers enjoy the fantastic trout and fly fishing opportunities in the Bushmans river and fishing is also available in the wagondrift Dam
- Ikukhanya Kwelanga Cultural Village is run by a traditional healer, who is also head of an organization of traditional healers. The “village” is a homestead in one of the townships around Estcourt and also includes a nursery specialising in plants with medicinal qualities, used by traditional healers for many years. Tours are conducted to a local township tavern and offer opportunities of meeting some of the local Zulu people and of seeing the dance troupe perform.
- Estcourt Anglo-Boer War battle sites include the Brynbella-Willow Grange. Veglaager (“Battle Laager”) is the site of a battle between the Boers and Zulus in 1838. Bloukrans Memorial marks the site where Voortrekker families were killed after the murder of their leader, Piet Retief. Winston Churchill was captured by the Boers at Chievely in 1899. A memorial marks the site of the engagement during which he was captured.
- Wagendrift Dam and Nature Reserve is a popular venue for angling, sailing and motor0boating.
- Visitors may witness the interesting process of glass making at Glamosa Glass. There is a large factory shop sector in town where people may buy a wide variety of products.
- There are various nature reserves in the area of Estcourt. New Formosa Nature Reserve is excellent for game viewing. Moor Park Nature Reserve offers interesting trails and bird watching. Four of the Big Five can be seen at the Weenen Game Reserve and Thukela Biosphere, which offers guided trails, horse trails and day and night drives.
- Giant’s Castle Game Reserve in the Drakensberg, west of Estcourt, includes the magnificent Giant’s Castle Peak. The reserve is home to twelve different species of antelope, jackal, baboon and the lammergeyer, which is the largest eagle on the continent. Visits to the reserve offer awe-inspiring views of the Drakensberg Mountain Range.
Accommodation in Estcourt