Balgowan is a valley in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands in South Africa. Balgowan lies north of Howick, in the central part of the Midlands Meander that lies between Nottingham Road and Lidgetton. Balgowan is a most beautiful part of the Natal Midands. It is the land of green, of soft wavy hills dominated by pastures with crystal-clear streams and waterfalls. Balgowan began its existence as an old trading store and train station, where local timber was received for the surrounding farms in the Natal Midlands.
The town of Balgowan is not much more than an old trading store and a train station where locally grown timber is picked up. However, nearby is Michaelhouse, the Anglican boarding school for boys in the Diocese of Natal, an exclusive private boarding school. The school complex, built in the English gothic style from red Pietermaritzburg brick, includes a chapel which is open to the public, featuring a stained glass rose window by Ervin Bossanyi.
As elsewhere in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, Balgowan has some wealthy farmers, mostly in the timber production industry (pine and eucalyptus) or in dairy and cattle farming. Popular niche soft drinks manufacturer Frankie’s Soft Drinks Company is located in the town.
The Midlands Meander, a scenic tourist route featuring arts and crafts, restaurants and accommodation, runs through Balgowan on the R103 road.
- Granny Mouse Country House Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. South Africa at it\’s best, Granny Mouse Country House, Hotel, Restaurant, Wellness Centre and Spa, is situated in the heart of the KwaZulu Natal Midlands. This Midlands Gem is positioned at the gateway to the Drakensberg foothills
- Gowan Valley Guest Farm Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Gowan Valley guest farm offers the ultimate in old-fashioned hospitality in the Natal Midlands near Michaelhouse and other Natal private schools.Meander down into the valley of peace and quiet, where you can relax and unwind in our picturesque setting.
- Notting Hill Lodge Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Welcome to Notting Hill Lodge. Set in the Midlands Meander where there is a multitude of Arts and Crafts. The Lodge comprizes ten (10x) en-suite suites, set in various buildings and settings. All suites have their own bathrooms
- Hilltop Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Lovely, Big House situated in Balgowan/Caversham. This 4 bedroomed home with outside flat and double garage is situated on a hill in rural Balgowan. This home has 4 x bedrooms, 2 x bathrooms (both with shower, toilet and basin)
- Woodridge Country Hotel Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Woodridge Country Hotel is set in the heart of the KwaZulu Natal Midlands. It is a four star country style retreat for the nature lover who desires fine food, fine wines and a chance to rejuvenate their body, mind and soul.
- Beaconvlei – The Boat House Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. The Boat House, situated 20m from the edge of our 50 acre private dam, is a picturesque, fully equipped thatched cottage, which sleeps up to five people.
- Little Forest Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. This is what you have been searching for, Little Forest is set in the most beautiful surrounds with rolling lawns to a fully stocked trout dam and swimming pool on the water’s edge. Little Forest is in the beautiful Balgowan Valley
- Millgate Cottage & The Glass Studio Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Set in the scenic KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, Millgate Cottage is set amid beautiful countryside just off the R103, between Nottingham Road and Howick. Conveniently located for all private schools in the area, it is only 5km from Michaelhouse.
- Caversham Mill Country Cottages Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. History Richard Gower Hodson (17) and James Jefferies Hodson (15), sailed from London aboard the “Nile”, in 1850. The brothers secured three plots (60 acres), one of which was on the Mpofana River.
- Hunters Lodge Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. TGCSA 4 Star graded Self-catering cottage,in the heart of the Midlands, 4km from Michaelhouse and within easy reach of many Private Schools. Simple access 200m off the R103.
- Pinetree Lodge Cottage Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. The cottage at Pinetree Lodge is ideally located for Michaelhouse and many of the popular wedding venues in the area, as well as those wanting to explore the midlands meander. It is situated only 6kms from the N3 in the rural country side of Balgowan
- The Midlands Forest Lodge Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan.
- Inverness Cottages Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Natal Midlands Cottages on Inverness Farm. Come and share the quiet tranquility of our working stud farm in the beautiful Caversham Valley, KwaZulu Natal Midlands.Inverness Farm is centrally situated
- Little Paradise Guest Farm Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Little Paradise is a guest farm in the heart of the Midlands Meander of KwaZulu-Natal, 3 kilometres from Balgowan Station and Michaelhouse School. Our farm is situated on a hillside with a breathtaking view over the Balgowan valley to Nottingham Road
- Caversham Hall Accommodation accommodation in Balgowan. Caversham Hall is situated in the Caversham valley near Balgowan. It is a beautiful home in English Country style. The Bed & Breakfast accommodation consists of large rooms with every comfort.
- Balgowan – Accommodation in the Drakensberg Mountains
- Balgowan – Zululand Tourism Balgowan is a valley in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands in South Africa. The Midlands Meander Route (a unique mix of more than 160 places to eat, drink, sleep
- Balgowan – Natal Midlands – Drakensberg
- Kwa-Zulu Natal Golf South Africa – Antbear Guesthouse
- Planning on getting married in the Natal Midlands?
- Old Balgowan – WeBookWeddings -Old Balgowan Wedding Venue is the latest addition on the historic Old Balgowan Farm which includes the well known retail
- Drakensberg Luxury Cave Lodge
- Fly Fishing – Drakensberg Mountains Fly fishing has become popular in the Drakensberg. First imported to South from Scotland in 1890 by Balgowan farmer John Clarke
- Drakensberg and Natal Midlands accommodation
- Balgowan Accommodation midlands-tour.co.za
- Balgowan – Drakensberg-Tourism.co.za
- Granny Mouse Country House accommodation in Balgowan
- Regional events for the Natal Midlands and the Drakensberg
- Balgowan – Drakensberg Reservations
- Pringles Country Inn by northern-drakensberg.co.za
- Balgowan links
- Balgowan – Drakensberg Mountains
- Balgowan – Accommodation and tourism in Howick
- Balgowan Accommodation Directory
- Balgowan Accommodation Directory – Pietermaritzburg …
- Balgowan Accommodation – Scatterhub.com