Royal Natal National Park offers wonderfully scenic views, dramatic mountains and waterfalls. Royal Natal National Park is located in the Northern Drakensberg and is one of the most popular Drakensberg attractions. Royal Natal offers many hiking trails and hikers can enjoy short hikes of an hour and also full day hikes. The main feature within Royal Natal is world famous Drakensberg Amphitheatre, a rock wall 5km long and 500 metres high. Standing above the rock face is Mont-aux-Sources peak. The Tugela River cascades down the face of the Amphitheatre, forming the second highest waterfall in the world of 945 meters. The Royal Natal National Park offers accommodation at Thendele Lodge and cottage or chalets at Thendele Camp.
Hiking trails at Royal Nata National Park
- Amphitheatre to Cathedral: The route passes parts of the Drakensberg including the Amphitheatre, Mbundini, Mnweni and the Rockeries, the Saddle and the Cathedral range. It is advisable to book this hike before arrival.
- Devils Hoek Valley: The hiking trail starts in Royal Natal National Park. The path gets progressively steeper and the views more spectacular as you continue along the trail. The route takes you from the Tugela River Carpark along the the Tugela Valley and then up the Devil’s Hoek tributary.
- Tugela Gorge Walk The route goes through alternative stretches of protea veld and forest and the scenery beyond the gorge is rivaled only by the view from the top of the Tugela Falls. It starts at the Royal Natal car park and follows the course of the Tugela river for some 11 km. The last few km can be difficult as the path is along the river and a certain amount of bolder hopping should be expected. Unfortunately without going right to the end there is no view of the waterfall.
Accommodation near Royal Natal National Park
- Montusi Mountain Lodge Space, comfort and peace are what you will find when you treat yourself to the natural splendour and peaceful, romantic ambiance of this Drakensberg haven. Situated in the Kwazulu-Natal Drakensberg, halfway between Johannesburg and Durban
- The Cavern The Cavern is a holiday resort offering you Drakensberg accommodation in the KwaZulu Natal region.
- Alpine Heath Resort Considered to be one of South Africa’s premier conference and holiday venues, Alpine Heath Resort allows you to relax in the comfort of an exclusive mountain village nestled in the midst of Northern Drakensberg, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa.
- Little Swiss Mountain Chalets Rise with the sun to view the majestic grandeur of the Amphitheatre in one of her many guises…clad in clouds, shrouded in snow, mellow in mist or crisp and clear.
- Thendele Hutted Camp (Royal Natal National Park) Thendele hutted camp is situated in one of the most picturesque settings in the country with a view of the world famous amphitheatre from every chalet. The camp nestles below the brooding sandstone cliffs of Dooley among yellowwood forests and protea savannah
- Berg House and Cottages Experience a mountain atmosphere with breathtaking views, described as the “IMAX Views” of the Drakensberg. This private destination on a 1600 acre estate enables you to reunite the mind, body and soul, restore the essential “you”. Relax and soak up the 270 degree views
- Buhlebemvelo B&B Bed and breakfast accommodation in Bergville
- Amphitheatre Backpackers Our funky lodge is located at the foot of the Amphitheatre between Royal Natal National Park and Cathedral Peak Reserve. Here the emphasis of your stay is on having fun and filling each day with as many experiences as possible.
- Bingelela Lodge About Situated in the with Northern Drakensberg, Bingelela offers earthy hospitality and outstanding service in a charmingly authentic setting.
- Mont-Aux-Sources Resort Orion Mont-Aux-Sources is named after Mont-Aux-Sources, the highest peak in the world-famous Amphitheatre in the northern Drakensberg. Measuring 3282 metres high, it was discovered in 1836 by French missionaries and christened Mont-Aux-Sources, or “mountain of springs”
- Tower of Pizza Experience traditional farmstyle hospitality in close proximity to all major attractions in the Amphitheatre valley, Northern Drakensberg. Artistic and off beat décor complement the tranquil and natural beauty of the area.
- Tsakane Safari Camp Game Drives are conducted in open-air game viewing vehicles and last between one and four hours. Early morning refreshments and late afternoon sundowners are provided en-route while enjoying spectacular vistas with the majestic Dragensberg Mountains
Royal Natal National Park Links
- Royal Natal National Park South Africa – Antbear Guesthouse
- Royal Natal National Park – Drakensberg .Net The main feature of the area is the Amphitheatre, a rock wall rising 1000 meters vertically into the sky.
- Mahai Camp in Royal Natal National Park – Zululand Tourism
- Royal Natal National Park South Africa – Antbear Drakensberg Lodge
- Royal Natal National Park | Antbear Drakensberg Lodge
- Royal Natal National Park – Northern Drakensberg
- Royal Natal National Park – Drakensberg tourist map
- Royal Natal National Park – Northern Drakensberg
- Royal Natal National Park – Drakensberg Mountains
- Royal Natal – Drakensberg accommodation
- Royal Natal National Park is situated in the Northern Drakensberg.
- Royal Natal National Park – South Africa Tours
- Royal Natal National Park | African Nights
- Drakensberg Hiking Trails – Recommended Hiking Tails. Day hiking trails in the Northern Drakensberg: Hiking trails in Royal Natal National Park.
- Royal Natal National Park South Africa Royal Natal National Park is ideal for hiking, with a superb network of graded walks
- Activities and tourist attractions in the Drakensberg the Gorge walk starts at Royal Natal National Park leads to the base of the Tugela Falls.
- Hiking Trails in Royal Natal National Park -Spectacular scenery of the Amphitheatre and its hiking trail called the Tugela Gorge Walk
- Royal Natal National Park backpackers information and Royal Natal National Park Hiking trails