Bergville is situated in the Northern Drakensberg area and is the biggest village in the area. Bergville services the regions tourism needs and acts as a gateway to the Northern Drakensberg. Bergville also is a farming community with dairy, beef, maize and wheat being grown. You will find a good selection of amenities including supermarkets, butcheries, banks and petrol stations which makes Bergville an ideal place to stock up on supplies for your self catering holiday.
Bergville Tourist Attractions
- Amphitheatre in Royal Natal National Park is the main reason most tourists pass through Bergville.
- The blockhouse built by the British stands in the grounds of the Courthouse and is the only surviving blockhouse in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Bergville – Cannibal Cavern, Northern Drakensberg offers an unusual culteral attraction. When Shaka’s impis raged through natal in the 1820s, smaller clans were forced to flee. Some took refuge in overhangs in the Drakensberg and had to resort to cannibalism to survive. Sidinane was the chief here.
- Kaalvoet Vrou (Barefoot woman), At Retiefs Pass there is a monument of a woman walking away from Natal. This is in memory of Susanna Smit, sister of Gert Maritz, who declared that she would rather trek barefoot back over the Berg than live in Natal under British rule.
- Retief’s Pass, Drakensberg. In 1837 Piet Retief’s party of voortrekkers braved the Drakensberg in their quest for freedom and a land (Natal) of their own. The original trail carved by their ox wagons is known as Retief’s pass.The pass was declared a national monument in February 1977.
- Retiefklip (Retief’s Rock) Upon arriving in the Free State, there was a dispute amongst the Boers as to the final, proposed destination of the great trek. Piet Retief chose Natal. Here at the foot of the Kerkenberg, he left his laager on 7 October, 1837 with 14 men to reconnoitre Natal in advance. His daughter Deborah painted her fathers name on a rock to commemorate his birthday.
- Sandford Park Country Hotel Established in 1850 as a British garrison for troops sent to relieve the besieged town of Ladysmith, Sandford Park allows the history of the region to narrate the essence of the hotel.
- Montusi Mountain Lodge
Space, comfort and peace are what you will find when you treat yourself to the natural splendour and peaceful, romantic ambiance of this Drakensberg haven.
- The Cavern The Cavern is a holiday resort offering you Drakensberg accommodation in the KwaZulu Natal region. Named after the “Cannibal Cavern”, it is situated on 3000 hectares of private mountain reserve adjacent to the Ampitheatre Royal Natal National Park
- Alpine Heath Resort Self Catering,Hotel accommodation in Bergville. Considered to be one of South Africa’s premier conference and holiday venues, Alpine Heath Resort allows you to relax in the comfort of an exclusive mountain village nestled in the midst of Northern Drakensberg
- The Homestead Lodge,Guest House accommodation in Bergville. The Homestead is a 3 star tranquil hideaway,’Home from Home’,situated in the quiet sanctuary of Geluksburg
- Drakensberg Mountain Retreat-Vergezient Lodge Self Catering,Lodge,Guest House,Bed and breakfast accommodation in Bergville. The Guesthouse, with its numerous lounges and fireplaces, is comfortably furnished and has an elegant, old-fashioned feel, while maintaining that rustic farm house charm.
- Little Swiss Mountain Chalets Spa,Self Catering,Hotel accommodation in Bergville.
- Thendele Hutted Camp (Royal Natal National Park) Self Catering,Caravan Sites,Camping accommodation in Bergville. Thendele hutted camp is situated in one of the most picturesque settings in the country with a view of the world famous amphitheatre from every chalet.
- Berg House and Cottages Spa,Self Catering accommodation in Bergville. Experience a mountain atmosphere with breathtaking views, described as the “IMAX Views” of the Drakensberg.
- Three Trees at Spioenkop Lodge,Guest House,Country House,Boutique hotel accommodation in Bergville. Surrounded by the Drakensberg Mountains, overlooking a secluded valley of the Spioenkop Game Reserve and in the lee of the famous hill, Spioenkop, lies Three Trees Lodge.
- ATKV Drakensville Holiday Resort Self Catering,Caravan Sites,Camping accommodation in Bergville. DRANKENSVILLE BERGOORD
- Bergville Caravan Park & Chalets accommodation in Bergville. The Bergville Caravan Park is situated on the foothills of the Drakensberg and on the banks of the Tugela River.
- Buhlebemvelo B&B Bed and breakfast accommodation in Bergville
- Kwaggashoek Game Ranch Bed and Breakfast,Self Catering accommodation in Bergville. Kwaggashoek is a wildlife sanctuary with a wide variety of game and birdlife which makes it a birdwatchers paradise. This Private Reserve consists of beautiful valleys, mountain streams, waterfalls and breathtaking views.
- Amphitheatre Backpackers Caravan Sites,Camping accommodation in Bergville. The funky lodge is located at the foot of the Amphitheatre between Royal Natal National Park and Cathedral Peak Reserve. Here the emphasis of your stay is on having fun and filling each day with as many experiences as possible.
- Bingelela Lodge Bed and Breakfast,Self Catering,Lodge accommodation in Bergville. About Situated in the with Northern Drakensberg, Bingelela offers earthy hospitality and outstanding service in a charmingly authentic setting.
- Ingwe Cabin Self Catering accommodation in Bergville. Situated in the Northern Drakensberg halfway down Oliviershoek Pass, between Little Switzerland and Alpine Heath, high up in the mountains on an easy 4×4 track nestles the farm ingwe
- Mont-Aux-Sources Resort Self Catering,Hotel accommodation in Bergville. Orion Mont-Aux-Sources is named after Mont-Aux-Sources, the highest peak in the world-famous Amphitheatre in the northern Drakensberg.
- Tower of Pizza accommodation in Bergville. Experience traditional farmstyle hospitality in close proximity to all major attractions in the Amphitheatre valley, Northern Drakensberg.
- Bergville – The small town of Bergville is the gateway to the Northern Drakensberg and there is an office of the Drakensberg Publicity Association.
- Bergville – (Bergville accommodation in Bergville) Drakensberg Mountain Retreat has two accommodation options
- Bergville – Bergville offers a good range of tourist and business accommodation. Bergville is perfectly situated to explore the Northern Drakensberg
- Bergville accommodation South Africa – Antbear Guesthouse
- Bergville accommodation South Africa – Antbear Drakensberg Lodge
- Bergville – Drakensberg Bergville is a small town situated in the foothills of the Drakensberg mountains.
- Bergville – Drakensberg Mountains The small town of Bergville is the gateway to the Northern Drakensberg and there is an office of the Drakensberg Publicity Association.
- Bergville – Northern Drakensberg Bergville is know as the gateway to the Northern Drakensberg
- Bergville – Drakensberg accommodation Bergville is a small town situated in the foothills of the Drakensberg mountains.
- Bergville – South Africa Tours
- bergville tour Bergville is a little town in the Northern Drakensberg region
- Bergville accommodation South Africa The small town of Bergville is the gateway to the Northern Drakensberg and there is an office of … Bergville, South Africa – information from Drakensberg Tourism.
- Bergville – Bergville is an ideally-situated agricultural and trading centre and today has become a centre relying on tourism.
- Natal Midlands & Drakensberg -Drakensberg Tourism Portal – Accommodation Hotels, resorts and hiking trails … Bergville tourism · Drakensberg Tourist Map · Drakensberg accommodation