The Southern Drakensberg streaches from Bushman’s Nek to Kamberg and Bulwer Mountain and includes the country towns of Underberg, Himeville and Bulwer and the Southern section of the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park. The most outstanding highlight of the Southern Drakensberg is the hair-rising Sani Pass, the steep, abrupt hairpins that twist to the top of the escarpment to the highest point in Southern is an experience of a life time, zigzags into the clouds, and draws increasingly more visitors from all over the world, to the “Roof of Africa”. An organised Tour with qualified operators or a 4WD, and a valid passport is required to conquer this magnificent pass, that once was a riverbed that started in Lesotho winding itself down to the sea. A visit to the Southern Drakensberg is a must for any eco tourist. The Southern Drakensberg is a land of great contrasts, with gently rolling hills and valleys giving way to the jagged basalt peaks of the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg mountains.
Southern Drakensberg accommodation
- Sani Pass Hotel Nestled in the beautiful Mkhomazana valley at the foot of Sani Pass, Sani Pass Hotel and Leisure Resort is renown for its warm hospitality, breathtaking views of the Drakensberg, and personal service. The Hotel can accommodate up to 150 guests.
- Drakensberg Gardens Golf Resort & Spa Drakensberg Mountain Range is the most majestic in South Africa and is the longest mountain range in the country, running for hundreds of kilometres and reaching a width of 150 kilometres in places
- Qambathi Mountain Lodge Set in a wildlife reserve against the backdrop of the majestic Drakensberg Mountains, Qambathi Mountain Lodge is not just a beautiful and unique honeymoon destination, but also offers fabulous wedding venue options.
- Amazian Mountain River Lodge Break away to a Malaria free area and escape from the hustle and bustle of city life and get pampered with personalized service in the ultimate tranquil surroundings at Amazian Mountain River Lodge a privately owned lodge, situated in the Southern Drakensberg.
- Eagles Rock Mountain Retreat accommodation in Underberg Enjoy the tranquillity of our private 25 acres, with pure spring water and lovely views. Take the Duiker, Thimble or Kingfisher trail, or spend a day hiking in the berg. Bird watch and add to the checklist of over 100 bird species or cast a fly into our dams.
- Penwarn Country Lodge Self Catering,Lodge accommodation in Underberg. Choose between two fully-catered exclusive lodges, Mthini Lodge and Indabushe Lodge and enjoy a break in sumptuous colonial style.
- Sani Lodge Backpackers provides a wide range of accommodation deep in the majestic Southern Drakensberg Mountains of South Africa,bordering directly onto the World Heritage listed uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park
- Moorcroft Manor Country House is situated on the outskirts of the village of Himeville in the Southern Drakensberg.
- Valemount Country Lodge Bed and breakfast accommodation in Underberg Valemount Country Lodge invites you to a peaceful country breakaway!! A very special place!
Albizia House Bed & Breakfast is a Bed and Breakfast establishment situated at 62 Arbuckle Street, Himeville, the main street of this small picturesque village that is just five kms.
- The Himeville Arms Hotel has long been a famous destination in the Southern Drakensberg. Situated on the main road in the quaint village of Himeville, it is a pleasant drive on tar.
- Arbuckle House
Bed and Breakfast,Self Catering accommodation in Himeville Arbuckle House Bed & Breakfast is a 3-star establishment and situated in the beautiful village of Himeville in the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg.The accommodation has a family suite which consists of a double bedroom, bathroom, open plan room with two single…
- Bentwood Inn offers delightful B&B and self-catering accommodation among the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg, a World Heritage Site. Nestling just outside the quaint village of Underberg
- Ripplemead Guesthouse is renowned for it’s beautiful, tranquil surroundings. Here “Ripplemead Guesthouse” quietly rests overlooking Mt. Currie, offering the weary a place of peace and tranquillity.
Birches Cottage Self Catering,Bed and breakfast accommodation in Underberg In a quiet corner of the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg World Heritage Park, with the cascading Umzimkulu river bounding one side and blue mountain sky the other, lies Birches Cottage.
Dragon’s Rest Camp Dragons rest camp is 11kms outside Underberg on R617tar road. Ideal stop over fort the Cape, Wild Coast or Lesotho via Sani pass.The camp has panaramic views of the Southern Drakensberg and is situated 12 minutes from Underberg where shops and restaurants can be used.
- Glengarry Caravan Park
Caravan Sites,Camping accommodation in Rosetta Level, partly shaded grassed sites on the banks of the Little Mooi River. Glengarry offers ablution blocks and power points on all sites.
- Castleburn Nestled among the foothills of the southern Drakensberg, this scenic mountain resort offers the ideal getaway for those in search of nature’s beauty and peace.
- Lake Naverone Self Catering,Resort accommodation in Underberg In a valley among the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg – a World Heritage Site – lies a secluded lake, a natural sanctuary far from the distractions of modern life.
- Pennygum Cottages TheAfrican Dreams ‘Honeymoon’ thatched rondavel is tastefully decorated in this theme and sleeps 2 adults and a further 2 adults or 2 children can be accommodated on a sofa bed in the lounge.
Southern Drakensberg links
- Southern Drakensberg – The southern Drakensberg lies a bit off the beaten tourist track and is not very well known. Here the nature lover finds alpine landscapes of dramatic beauty.
- Southern Drakensberg – The tourist highlight of the southern Drakensberg is the Sani Pass. It’s the highest pass-road in South Africa and leads all along the upper Mkomazana River
- Southern Drakensberg Accommodation Situated amidst rolling green hills and breath-taking sunsets on the outskirts of the country village of Himeville, in the Southern Drakensberg.
- Bushmans Nek – Southern Drakensberg Bushman’s Nek in the Southern Drakensberg marks the end of the Giant’s Cup Hiking Trail.
- Activities and tourist attractions in the Drakensberg
- Southern Drakensberg – Giants Castle The Southern Drakensberg streaches from Bushmans Nek to Kamberg and includes Underberg and Himeville.
- Southern Drakensberg – South Africa – Antbear Drakensberg Lodge
- Southern Drakensberg Tourism Accommodation
- Southern Drakensberg – Central Drakensberg
- Southern Drakensberg – Drakensberg accommodation
- Southern Drakensberg – Drakensberg Mountains
- Drakensberg Gardens – Southern Drakensberg The Drakensberg Gardens is an area in South Africa located along the Southern Drakensberg Mountains.
- Southern Drakensberg – South Africa – Sengani horse trails
- Southern Drakensberg
- Southern Drakensberg – South Africa
- Southern Drakensberg – Drakensberg-Tourism.co.za
- Southern Drakensberg Accommodation Dominated by Hodgson’s Peaks which enclose the Giants Cup, Cobham is a 52000 hectare section of the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park in the southern drakensberg
- Southern Drakensberg Directory